Monday, March 12, 2012

My favorite Mother in Heaven Quote and my Least favorite

My Favorite one is as follows:

In 1910 Apostle Rudger Clawson pointed out that men as well as women and children crave a mother in heaven to worship and “yearn to adore her.” He said, “It doesn’t take from our worship of the Eternal Father, to adore our Eternal mother, any more than it diminishes the love we bear our earthly fathers, to include our earthly mother in our affection”
--(Rudger Clawson, unsigned article, “Our Mother in Heaven,” Latter-day Saints’ Millennial Star 72 [29 Sept. 1910]: 619-20).


My least favorite one is as follows:


In a meeting for church regional representatives on 5 April 1991, Gordon B. Hinckley, first counselor in the First Presidency, responded to reports that “here and there, prayers have been offered to our Mother in Heaven.” He had searched and found “nowhere in the Standard Works an account where Jesus prayed other than to His Father in Heaven … I have looked in vain for any instance … [of] 'a prayer to our Mother in Heaven.'” He said he “consider[s] it inappropriate for anyone in the Church to pray to our Mother in Heaven” and instructed regional representatives to “counsel priesthood leaders to be on the alert for the use of this expression and to make correction where necessary. Such correction can be handled in a discreet and inoffensive way. But it should be firm and without equivocation.”

I do not think President Hinckely should have stated the last part. I'm sorry, but you should not correct me in how I pray. If we have a mother there, we should include her. People yearn for that as my favorite quote says. Just because the scriptures omit her from the Lords prayer. Just because the Doctrine and Covenants is written in such a male light, does not make it that the Lord didn't pray to her as well as him. There is even some scholarly evidence to suggest he used an Aramaic word (which like most languages is very patriarchal in nature) saying Father-Mother. How can that be untrue?

Honestly, but with all these quotes, the only one that stands as the nearest to what I would like the general population of the church to hear and understand is the one from 1910. That view should have been acted upon then.

My question isn't any more "Why is she silent?" It is: How do we integrate her?

I begin my integrating her in my testimony. I shared a testimony of her once. I can do it again, and again, and again. I will include her with in all the testimony about men and immortal men. She must be included somehow. I am certain a Testimony of her, would not be wrong.The more we testify of her, the more we can get used to hearing her name spoken. It will become second nature.

So no more will I speculate about her and why she is hidden, because I don't think she is hidden, I think she is there in plain sight. We just have not paid much attention to her, due to many different reasons. But for me, I want to include her in the most meaningful way I can. That is through song, and testimony.

I have this little song that I really want to write for children. Well actually its just taking that one line from Oh My Father like this:

Father, Mother may I greet thee,
When my earthly life is over
In they Royal Courts above
Until then please teach me
About eternal life, and love

Very simple, very sweet. Now would that even get through correlation? I hope so. If its meant to be, I will know when it is time.  I think it is going to get through correlation, and I also get a feeling, I just have to write the tune and leave it alone until it is time.

No comments:

Post a Comment